Sunday, May 24, 2009

REVIEW: FROM A MOTHER'S HEART




IMPROVIJAZZATION Nation
REVIEW by Dick Metcalf
http://zzaj.freehostia.com/Z91Reviews.htm

Sound Visions Media
http://www.soundvisionsmedia.com
Available at iTunes, CD Baby and Sound Visions Media

Sound Visions Media
- FROM A MOTHER'S HEART: There are some very familiar jazz players/singers (for me) here, like Judi Silvano, & John Stowell, paying tribute to moms everywhere... especially poignant for me on a personal level since my mother passed only a couple years back. Even though my mom was more "church-oriented" in her musical tastes, I've no doubt that she would smile down on these tunes as she listened to them, as they are full of life and the gentle caring attitudes that most of us associate with our mothers. The most impressive thing about this collection is that it's got real energy - there's not a dull or "sappy" cut in all 11 tunes; that can't be said for many of these assemblages, but spirit fills each of the pieces. I glommed right on to Judi Silvanos' "Bougainvillea", probably because I've listened to (& reviewed) her music so many times. Strangely enough, though, it was a composition from Mala Waldron called "Ellie" that captured the "favorite" spot for me... it will just bounce you along through the magical scats & supremely spirited piano playing. This CD isn't just for "mom's day", by any stretch of the imagination... you can play it anywhere, anytime, & I imagine those of you who wander about with IPODS attached to your ears will play my favorite track & all of the other cuts over & over & over again. I give this a MOST HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (which is kind of a "first" for a tribute album). Get more information at http://errandgirlforjazz.blogspot.com/ Rotcod Zzaj

No comments: